The Jakarta Post
OUS, the first private independent university in Switzerland to use Education 3.0
Jakarta, Indonesia | Fri, November 4, 2016 | 12:00 am
Traditional Education - Education 1.0: Each year, millions of students seek higher education. Most universities still teach the same way they have taught for hundreds of years, with the lecturer standing in front of students and giving them the same topics he has given other students.
Distance Education - Education 2.0: Less than 20 years ago, the concept of Education 2.0 began being used in colleges. Students would get their study materials and take their exams at the end of the year. There are some places online where they may ask questions about their study materials, but they wouldn't be able to see with who they are in contact.
Virtual Education - Education 3.0: Today OUS and a few other universities in some countries have started the next step in education, Education 3.0. OUS director Habib Al Souleiman talks about these new methods after three years of implementing them.
OUS Royal Academy of Economics and Technology in Switzerland®
OUS is a registered trade mark by the Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property. OUS was happy to introduce its new and unique method of teaching to state universities in many countries.
Through OUS, students from Jakarta or anywhere can finally have top professors from Switzerland, the US or the UK without even moving from their home country. OUS still recommends students who are able to move to Europe to go there so that they can enjoy cultural exchange experiences. However, if someone has a family, business or work and is unable to move but they still wish to have a high-quality education, then only virtual education can give them this possibility.
Today OUS is quite possibly the biggest English-speaking school in Switzerland, with over 1,200 active students registered this year. There are no other schools in Switzerland with such a high number of English-speaking students.
Education 3.0 – Virtual Education
OUS method allows students to see their professor, speak with the professor and ask live questions. As a result, the lecturer is always in weekly contact with students, and all students at OUS get to know each other and their professors.
Like with any other new idea, people are bound to have questions. Some people are not happy and the others are. The main question asked is: “How can a student be sure that the program is high level?” The answer is as follows:
Today OUS has professors from 18 countries teaching there. Some 80 percent of OUS?'s academic team has doctoral degrees. The other 20 percent have at least a Master's degree.
OUS is categorized as a “Premier Accredited University” by Accreditation Service for International Colleges & Universities ASIC UK, an accreditation body that is recognized by the British Government (Home Office/UKVI), a member of the UK National Academic Recognition Information Center (UK NARIC) Quality Standards Group, an affiliated accreditation body by The European Association for Quality Assurance in Higher Education (ENQA Europe) and a member of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) International Quality Group.
OUS study programs in business administration up to a doctorate level are accredited by the European Council for Business Education (ECBE). The ECBE is a registered affiliate of the European Association for Quality Assurance in Higher Education (ENQA) and Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) International Quality Group (IQG).
OUS is double ISO certified, ISO 29990:2010 (learning services for non-formal education and training) and ISO 9001:2008 (quality management).
It is an approved member of the following organizations:
- The Swiss National Tourist Office (MySwitzerland)
(ICDE) - International Council for Open and Distance Education (the ICDE is supported by the Norwegian Ministry of Education and Research)
- (United Nations) - UN PRME member, launched at the 2007 UN Global Compact Leaders Summit in Geneva.
(EFQM) - European Foundation for Quality Management
- (AACSB) - The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
- (ACBSP) - The Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs
- (ECBE) - European Council for Business Education
- (ASIQUAL) - Academic and Skills International Qualifications
- (USDLA) - United States Distance Learning Association
- (EAIE) - European Association for International Education
- (EMA) - European Medical Association
- (ASCBE) - Accreditation Service for Certifying Bodies (Europe)
- (ECLBS) - European Council for Leading Business Schools
- (EUCDL) - European Council for Distance Learning
- (AHLA) - American Hotel & Lodging Association
- (CHRIE) - International Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education
- (BHA) - British Hospitality Association
For comprehensive information about OUS, visit ous.edu.eu