Tert.am Armenian News
Interview with Armenian Newspaper Tert.am թերթ (the most popular news website in Armenia):
Swiss Private University introduces virtual education in Europe
Four years ago the youngest Swiss independent university, OUS Royal Academy of Economics and Technology in Switzerland, started its first program, established in 2013 and today still the only virtual university in Switzerland with nearly 1200 students and 120 staff; we wanted to know the different between Virtual and Online/Distance Education. Therefore, we invited OUS Director, Dr. Habib Al Souleiman for an Interview.
OUS is a unique service for online users, how did this Idea come
A: This Idea of delivering virtual education came from many requests we received every day, students always sent us that they cannot leave their country due to different reasons, family or work for example. In addition, they want high quality of education.
What is Virtual Education? Moreover, how old is online education in general?
A: Online education is already 25 years old, Distance Education is even older, and I would say it is nearly 100 years old. Virtual Education is less than 10 years old; we are the first in Switzerland and probably the first in Europe to offer different kind of Education. Our students see their lecturers each week live, screen-to/screen they can communicate with their professors.
Do you work with Schools or universities in different Countries? Do your students have possibility to Dual award?
Yes, we work with nearly 50 universities and schools worldwide, as well we offer double award with many universities mainly in UK, Mexico, Ukraine, Nicaragua… here is list of some of our partners
· Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv
· University of Galați Romania
· Universidad Azteca - Mexico
· University of Dąbrowa Górnicza Poland
· Central University of Nicaragua
· Taurida National V.I.Vernadsky University
· British National Business and Computing Centre (NCC Education)
· TURAN University - Kazakhstan
· Kazakh Academy of Labor and Social Relations
· Kharkiv National Automobile and Highway University
· Maryam Abacha American University of Niger (MAAUN)
· Otgontenger University Mongolia
· President College Malaysia
· University of Sierra Leone
The full list is on our website www.ous.edu.eu.
Virtual Education is a new Idea and do you face people with “Fear of the unknown“?
Yes, especially in Education, people have prejudices about any new idea but most of people recommended us to keep this high level of education.
· OUS is on the list of Approved Schools/Universities for Scholarships in Switzerland by "Association for Bipartite Enforcement, Continuing Training and the Social Fund for Staff Leasing"
· Accredited by Accreditation Service for International Colleges & Universities ASIC UK, a recognized accreditation body by the British Government (Home Office/UKVI).
· ISO 29990:2010 Certified for Learning services for non-formal education and training
· ISO 9001:2008 Certified (Quality management)
· OUS is the winner of MENAA Award (CUSTOMER DELIGHT AWARD) the award is given by Zurich University of Applied Sciences (ZHAW) and Institute of Leadership & Management.
As well, we are an approved Educational member by
· The Swiss National Tourist Office (MySwitzerland)
· Approved full member by The Central and East European Management Development Association (CEEMAN)
· Approved member by EFMD (European Foundation for Management Development)
· (ICDE) - International Council for Open and Distance Education (the ICDE is supported by the Norwegian Ministry of Education and Research)
· (United Nations) - UN PRME member, launched at the 2007 UN Global Compact Leaders Summit in Geneva.
· (EFQM) - European Foundation for Quality Management
· (AACSB) - The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
· (ACBSP) - The Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs
· (ECBE) - European Council for Business Education
· (ASIQUAL) - Academic and Skills International Qualifications
· (USDLA) - United States Distance Learning Association
· (EAIE) - European Association for International Education
· (EMA) - European Medical Association
· (ASCBE) - Accreditation Service for Certifying Bodies (Europe)
· (ECLBS) - European Council for Leading Business Schools
· (EUCDL) - European Council for Distance Learning
· (AHLA) - American Hotel & Lodging Association
· (CHRIE) - International Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education
· (BHA) - British Hospitality Association